Saturday 1 September 2012

Nectaring moths by torch light

I don't do it very often but have found looking for nectaring moths very productive. I first started back in July when my buddleia was in flower. I had Small Ranunculus two weeks before the first one reached the trap. Recently I got a lifer by looking for moths by torch light a Clepsis spectrana. Tonight in just half an hour I had 5 Silver Y nectaring on Campion, 5 Pretty Chalk Carpet (3 of which were on the food plant Traveler's Joy), 2 Angle Shades, Dingy Footman at rest on grass, Magie, Acleris rhombana, Square-spot Rustic and 2 Snout around Nettles. Not bad for a windy night. Take a look at the photos below. I think the moths look better in their natural environment.
Angle Shades moth Phlogophora meticulosa

The Silver Y  Autographa gamma

No comments:

Post a Comment