Friday 26 July 2013

Haematopota crassicornis and pluvialis

I've had several cleg flies buzzing round me in Sand Bay recently so I've been netting them for my own safety and with a view to separating into H.crassicornis and H.pluvialis. Getting the information to separate these two isn't easy but I've found out that pluvialis has an anterior notch on the basal antennal segment which is not present in crassicornis. H.grandis can be told from the two by a long thin basal antennal segment.
I netted 9 flies; 8 where H.crassicornis and 1 was H.pluvialis. The photo below shows the difference in the antennae. This is correct to the best of my knowledge and will amend if any more information comes to light to the contrary.

Comparison of antennae of crassicornis and pluvialis

No comments:

Post a Comment