Tuesday 25 June 2013

Helophilus trivittatus, Cheddar Pink and more

A warm sunny day with plenty of insects on the wing. I was surprised to see Broad-bodied Chaser as I've not found them on the patch before. I photographed it at arms reach.
Helophilus trivittatus was next on the list as it nectared on Water Droptwort which still has many Depressaria daucella larvae. The abdominal markings and the plain yellow face should be enough to satisfy any sceptics. Anyway the photo is below. The Cassida rubiginosa needed keying out but the markings around the scutellum and the suture look consistent with this species. Whilst photographing a beetle I notice the grassbug Notostira elongata, an adult male which you might just be able to see the furrow in between the eyes but is present on an uncropped image. Next up were two new plants for the year: Common Centaury and Stinking Iris. The Centaury I have been watching for a while to come into flower and now they have the ID was made easy by googling "pink flower with yellow stamen". The Stinking Iris I've seen on the patch before. Later on I found even more new plants for the year: Cheddar Pink and Pyramidal Orchid. Whilst bug hunting a Whimbrel could be heard calling in the bay.

Helophilus trivittatus

Broad-bodied Chaser

Cassida rubiginosa

Harlequin Ladybird

Notostira elongata

Cheddar Pink

No comments:

Post a Comment