Saturday 1 June 2013

New moth and some diptera identifications

I went out at 5am this morning with the beating tray whilst it was still cold in the hope of getting some inactive bugs from the branches. This seemed to be quite effective in the past and worked well again this morning. I struck lucky early on with two micros Phyllonorycter rajella and a new moth for me Phyllonorycter stettinensis. Both are alder feeders and both were found on alder. I wasn't so successful after that with the only other highlight a Palloptera umbellatarum. I should have got some better shots whilst in the field because when I got it back home it escaped before I could take some quality shots. I spent the evening identifying some diptera from previous days some of which are featured below.

Phyllonorycter stettinensis

Palloptera umbellatarum

Empis trigramma

Heleomyza borealis

Psila fimetaria

2 comments:

  1. Heleomyza borealis - not ever seen this one, are you sure you have family right? Cheatotaxy looks wrong to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, I don't remember how I got to this ID I cant find any on the internet that match. I think I may have copied the name down wrong. Will check this one through again.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete